[DeTomaso] Intake Box Material

Orville Orville at Rubyglass.com
Tue Dec 7 18:51:29 EST 2010

Will,

I have previously built boxes for use in lighting for photography out of
acrylic sheet and it works well and machines easily. The predominate problem
with acrylic is the heat limit is about 180° F. (See
http://tinyurl.com/284r5hc )

Lexan® is a trade name for Polycarbonate which also works well as far as
machining and is good up to 220° F. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan)

You can drill and tap for the basic shape and then utilize a solvent based
adhesive for the strength of the joints. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) will
permanently join Lexan®, but they have specialty adhesives that retard the
“drying” rate of the MEK, which evaporates at a rate similar to Acetone.

Orville

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of Will Demelo
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 1:19 PM
To: detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] Lexan?

Hey Guys.

I want to build a plexiglass intake box for my IR system. I want to
duplicate what Goran has done to his. He hasn't got back to me.

http://www.hemipanter.se

Picture of box about 20% way down.

What type of plexi-glass should I use? Or should it be lexan? There will be
heat and vibration, of coarse, so what is the best material? I'm thinking
3/8" thick? Can I drill and tap or will the vibration cause cracks
eventually?

Will

DeTomaso at list.realbig.com