[DeTomaso] [De Tomaso] drive shaft u-Joint

burrid1 at netzero.net burrid1 at netzero.net
Wed Dec 1 20:52:23 EST 2010

Stock or Spicer half-shafts have a better appearance to me than CV-Joints because the size makes it appear that the car has horsepower, and bigger is better. Otherwise There's no comparison between CV Joints and U-Joints for operational efficiency unless both are operated without any deflection (straight coupling). CV Joints will outperform U-Joints in every operational aspect. CV Joint axle shafts are normally made out of 4340 (same material as torsion bars) and are designed to absorb torque shock loads. Drag race vehicles will often use 4340 because it produces less stress on axle and transaxle gears due to its ability to flex. There are a number of companies that are making CV-Joint kits. They're all basically the same from CV-Joint, axle shaft, to CV-Joint, but all use different adapters. Two critical items are that the CV-Joints must be protected from the elements, and sufficient operating area for the axle shafts (because they move due to axle deflection) must be provided. Sacoperformance just has them available at a lower price ($1,195.00), and the CV-Joints are protected from the elements on both ends. I'll be at PIM Saturday with a set installed on my Pantera for questions and comments.