[DeTomaso] Fuses and 15" Tires

Larry Weston lplugw at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:55:16 EDT 2010

Regarding fuses; While some european style fuses are indeed made with an aluminum fusable strip over a ceramic or plastic core, I had no problem at all locating ones with copper strips. Find the older parts stores or service stations. The ones that have the old guys behind the counter.
The issue with the aluminum strip fuses is the galvanic reaction (corrosion) of dissimilar metals in contact with each other (the aluminum fusable bit and the brass/copper fuse holder), particularly in the Pantera fusebox so prone to moisture from leaky windshields.
Since I solved the moisture issue, cleaned up the contacts, installed the copper strip fuses and done the recomended relay work (cooling fans, ignition and headlights) I have blown one fuse. My own fault, from a reversed connection. In fact, after doing the relay modifications I lowered the values of the fuses affected by the transfer of loads to the relays with no problems.
Regarding 15" tires; I can provide a contact for 295/50/15V (149 mph) rated tires. Hankook RH 06 of recent manufacture (mine are from the 51st week of 2009). They are very similar in appearance to the Toyo Proxes S/T. Not cheap, not necessarily easy, but way cheaper than a set of 17" wheels and tires. They do look great on a 10" campy rim.
Larry.