[DeTomaso] gas tank insulation

Jeff Cobb zumzum at cox.net
Sun Aug 22 22:25:54 EDT 2010

Hey guys,
Those insulation items are impressive. My recommendation is to use a
material that holds a low amount of moisture. I live in Louisiana so
water is always a problem. I have used products from Lewco http://lewcospecialtyproducts.com/
   for many years on mine and customer cars for fantastic heat and
noise insulation. I am talking about a whole car/one month insertion
of sound and heat reduction. Extruded silica is much better than
fibreglass. Then you cover it with their silica/silicone fabric mat.
Now you kill noise and temp with low air void space where water or oil
could get in for rust or fire. If not, then use a closed cell sponge
rubber neophrene. One of the best for noise control and will absorb
moisture.
Wurth door skin sheets are fantastic, asphalt and aluminum with a
massive sticking asphalt side. I put 37 of them along with the
forementioned stuff in my wifes E430 and @100 mph the decibels on A
scale are only 77. At 143mph the sound pressure was 81 on A scale
while driving on I 49 concrete interstate. Weight gain was totally set
off by the supreme silence.
Hope this helps.
Jeff Cobb
Mangusta 1196.