[DeTomaso] gas tank insulation

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Sun Aug 22 21:22:24 EDT 2010

 http://www.thermalsound.com/products.asp?cat=11

I used this product on the engine side of my firewall and other areas for
heat rejection insulation. It is not cheap, but I think it's pretty good. It
would be easy to cut and apply to the tank shield if you have lost the
original asbestos sandwich barrier. It has a "peel and stick" backing that
is very good and unlike the sound absorbsion products, it is really designed
specifically to reject heat. It is also very thin for what it's supposed to
do.
Barry

----

In a message dated 8/22/10 6 54 0, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> I have a 74 Pantera under restoration, I would like to know what is the
> best way to insulate the shroud around the gas tank?

It comes from the factory with an asbestos-based covering.   Unfortunately,
when my car was restored, the fellow doing the work didn't realize that the
polished stainless steel gas tank shield *cover* was supposed to go over
the stock piece; instead he just threw the stock one away.   Mine therefore
wasn't as well-suited to its job of insulating the tank from heat, plus it
drummed and vibrated in an annoying manner.

I got some of this stuff:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3msounddamping.php

It was very easy to apply, and very lightweight.   It appears to have done
the job quite well, because my drumming/vibrating problem is gone--having
said that, I think it's gone mostly because this material was thick enough
that it's pressed up solid against both the side of the tank and the inner
surface of the shield.   As my tank is a '71 tank (aluminum wrapped in
fiberglass) I'm not worried so much about corrosion etc.

YMMV...