[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 02:50:44 EDT 2010

Because our stock studs are hardened, they don't accept side-blows. I've
seen OEM Pantera wheel studs crack shortly after being sloppily pressed out of
a hub where the press force or hammer blows were not straight on. Dunno
whats being sold these days as stock, but at $16 ea, I'm not about to whack one
sideways out of curiosity!
FWIW, I had a wheel loosen only weeks after we bought our car (aftermarket
wheels), and while the aluminum wheel was thoroughly beaten up and three of
the 5 nuts were laying in the street over a block's distance, none of the
studs broke. So even though your wheel & hats etc were hammered, that might
not be what cracked the studs. Hard to do forensics from 3000 miles, sight
unseen, though...
If you know a good TIG-welder close by, the aluminum hats and the wheels
can be welded and remachined to original dimensions & strength, and once done
I wouldn't be afraid to use the parts hard. That might let you salvage a few
bucks from this sad scene. But whatever happens, I would not return to that
alignment shop! Good luck- J DeRyke