[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 03:03:07 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/21/10 9:22:15 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> The original design does not lose a wheel if a half shaft breaks, it
> loses a wheel if an axle breaks, which does not happen with a modern hub and
> bearing assembly.
>
> Ken

True; you can pull both halfshafts and roll a Pantera around a shop or even
push it into a trailer. The kind of ends installed on a halfshaft are
irrelevant to your problem. I helped load a basket-case Mangusta on a trailer
without the engine, ZF or halfshafts in place.The Goose and Pantera have the
same basic double-a-arm layout of IRS.   Other cars that do not use an upper
rear a-arm, do use the halfshafts as a suspension link but those cars don't
have (or need) a slip-joint in the middle of the halfshafts either. The
outboard stub axles are a whole different subject. FWIW- J DeRyke