[DeTomaso] Convention ideas

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 15:03:20 EDT 2010

Relocate the Fun Rally again? A very long time ago, I noted that most
DeTomaso owners won't drive their Grand Touring(!) sports cars more than about 4
hours one-way, for any reason. So I took a map of California where the
majority of DeTomasos hide, drew a circle on it centered on Los Angeles, that
could be reached in 4 hours- even in a Nash Metropolitan- and noted the cities
that fell within that circle. Las Vegas fits. San Diego obviously fits.

But that boundary is artificial. Reno is outside the 4 hr circle and still
pulled enough attendees- twice- to allow POCA to at least break even on
expenses. Phoenix is at roughly the same Interstate driving time as Reno, as is
San Jose/San Francisco/Sacramento. Pocono on the East Coast draws enough
attendees from the whole Atlantic seaboard to make expenses; if the "Official"
Fun Rally were held there, likely their attendence would double and trailer
sales would mushroom!

So the ONLY thing seemingly preventing another change is: SOMEONE (or some
group) TO RELIABLY DO ALL THE WORK.

Critics, arm-waving and lots of discussion pro/con is expected, but
actually organizing such an event is a massive undertaking, as those who have
actually done such a thing can attest.   Whether there's a racetrack nearby or
not is nice but immaterial to most attendees, as is the local weather. Driving
250- 500 or so miles to get there is as much "driving event" as we
personally need, especially if we're in a convoy of a dozen DeTomasos (or up to 100
as happened a few times). Judy and I attend such events for the company of
other owners, seeing their cars, and info, making for an enjoyable
mini-vacation.

Bring it on, wherever- J & J DeRyke