[DeTomaso] Convention ideas

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Aug 20 15:35:29 EDT 2010

... and I think it worth pointing out, some of our Canadian friends
pulled off one heck of a multi-day tour/event just a couple weeks ago.
  Yes, I didn't go (long story) but if you read the itinerary, saw the
photos and read the feedback, in my opinion the Fun Rally pales in
comparison.  They had driving, multiple hotels, various tours/visits,
restaurants, catered dinners, a few mini-tech sessions and did I
mention the driving?  Sure they had no track event or vendors or open
bar but the smiles per mile were tremendous.  I hope they manage to
put this together again next year, or maybe make it an every-other
year event.

It just takes new folks to step up and and do something.  I think it's
been said before, it doesn't have to be 'The Fun Rally."  Originally
the Fun Rally was just a simple Pantera club event that Kent and Sandi
put together.  Who knew it would become such an icon of Pantera lore?
Perhaps the premise by which the Fun Rally was started, needs to be
resurrected in a new way...

Each POCA Chapter, in turn, is responsible for putting together a
"big" Pantera even for the year.  Each Chapter lobbies to be the host
of the event, making a presentation to the POCA Board or event
committee as the case may be.  The Chapter who wins the "big yearly
car event" slot then hosts and puts on the show in a venue close to
their home.  (yes, I'm thinking the International Mustang Meet model
here)  This way the event moves around the country.  You could even
make it so it had to be an East coast chapter one year and a West
coast chapter the next and maybe plug in middle-American chapters in
the rotation.  That way if you felt it was too much trouble to drive
or fly to Pocono, you could wait until the next year to go to Las
Vegas, or San Diego, or....

And the beauty of this is that it doesn't prevent any single Chapter
from doing a smaller local event on their own if they so choose.

The question is....  are there any people in each Chapter to take on
this challenge?  Or are too many people set in overstuffed comfortable
chairs just "waiting" for "someone else" to do it?

I'd love to see an event in Nashville.  I may not attend, but I think
it would be great to have one.  I think it would really show we still
have other people (like the Canadians this year) who can step up,
organize, manage, promote and get people to an alternate event.  You
don't have to have the draw of the Fun Rally.  Even if you got half
the people there, you would have success.

San Diego?  Same story, put it together and see who comes.  I think it
would be great.  Perhaps we all need to start with the simple idea
that no matter what we do, we won't get "everybody" there.  so stop
worrying about "numbers" and start thinking about venues and events,
and marketing.

But that's just me.
Asa Jay

Quoting JDeRyke at aol.com:

--
Asa Jay Laughton - sent from somewhere other than home