[DeTomaso] Ebay Pantera SI Value?

Tom Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Sat Aug 14 23:01:54 EDT 2010

I've had a few BIG projects like this one and I can tell you from the pictures, that body is far far from being ready for paint.
To do that car right I would say there is easy 200 hours in just body panel alignment, finish mounting, filing, sanding, priming, sanding...on and on.
An who knows the real condition of the panels...are they ready to bolt down, are there problems not evident in the pictures?
I would not bid on that car sight unseen. Seriously that body looks pretty rough from very sketchy pictures. And you don't have any idea how the body was fastened
down... it could be clamped in place for pictures? Looks like the deck lid was just layed on the car for pictures. I think you could spend $10K to $20k just getting the
body completed and painted...then there's the rest of the car, the interior, the engine and transaxle, the wiring....this would be a great project for someone retired
with a full shop at home. If I had a running Pantera that was sorted and I was dieing to have an SI, I would feel better getting the body panels from the vendor that was mentioned
(???) and creating my own clone. Rare body panels or not, it's a clone and not an original...finished is it worth $60 to 80K in today's market?
Purchase price $25k + engine and zf $15k, Body work and paint $15k, labor to complete $20k. I notice there are no bids at $25k. Oh and how is the
chasis....any rust? Just my two cents.