[DeTomaso] Techno question: where is this gremlin located?

Damaadams damaadams at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 13:15:47 EDT 2010

Dick,
?
If you still have the original wiring setup to your radiator fans, all the current to the fans and the little fan light in the speedometer flows through the fan switch. I'm thinking that when your fans "freewheel" in the airflow they act like mini generators and send a little current flow back through the harness, including the speedo fan light. When I installed modern fans I was cautioned to put a diode in the circut to prevent that backflow. Instead I power the fans on a separate circuit directly from the battery and use the dash switch only to power a relay. That way there is no direct electrical connection between switch and fans (or between fans and speedo fan light), so current backflow isn't an issue. It shouldn't be a problem for you unless the fans generate enough juice to cause run-on after you shut the motor off. Of course, I may be all wet on this.
?
?
?