[DeTomaso] Techno question: where is this gremlin located?

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Sun Aug 15 04:54:48 EDT 2010

2010-08-14 22:00, John Taphorn skrev:
> Steve
>

> Id recommend that you run a 10 or 12 gauge wire, depending on the amps of your fans, from the thermal switch to a switch on your dash.  The dash switch is subsequently grounded, in the closed position, using 12 or 10 gauge wire to the ground stud under the dash.  It is better to utilize a central ground on the vehicle. If you use an existing switch on the center console, remove the daisy chained ground wire from that switch (if it be attached), as it is to light to carry the amps of the two fans, and use the heavier wire previously mentioned ground wire.  12G carries 41 amps and 10G carries 55amps.  12G should be adequate for many 2 fan loads.  SPAL fans are higher amperage and you might consider 10G.

If the switch is connected in parallel with the thermo switch, the
current the wire will carry is not the current drawn by the fan. It will
be just the current needed to activate the relay and you can use a much
thinner wire.

> This will allow your thermal switch to still contribute to the cooling exercise, when you are distracted and not watching gauges while driving in the city, and allow you to override the thermal switch and turn the fans on at will.
>
> Good luck
>
> JT

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18