[DeTomaso] New engine

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 7 02:56:52 EDT 2010

The LS-series motors have borrowed so many features from the 1970 351
Cleveland, it should be prettty familiar for us working around the thing. It has
features borrowed from the Ford modulars, too. There are a few things they
dropped the ball on, specifically- in order to cram a water pump, distributor
and a gearotor oil pump into the front end of the block ala Ford Modular,
for a low hood line, there's only room for a single-row cam chain, which
makes me nervous. The direct cam-driven distributor has been a source of trouble
since they hung it on the last of the LT-series engines, mostly from
condensation build up inside the less-than-1/2" thick distributor case. The early
gearotor oil pumps were too small to deliver enough pressure for performance
work, so look for this as an add-on to wrecking yard engines from the newer
models. The late semi-dry-sump system seems problematic too and was likely
added to shrink the thickness of the oil pan for ground clearance rather
than for real performance work. A few Chevy guys have changed back to the early
wet-sump engines and gained power & reliability. That's all I've heard-
never actually worked on one myself. FWIW- J DeRyke