[DeTomaso] I've got to get going on my restoration

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 14:27:21 EDT 2010

My opinions only- it is after all your car.

1)- Virtually NO front air dam will just bolt on; all will need fitting or
trimming of one sort or another, metal or fiberglas. The bodies varied from
month to month and from model to model, even before they were driven and had
the frame/chassis shift around. So it will take some bodywork regardless of
what you choose and the material won't change that.
2)- If you intend to show more than drive, put a nice low air dam on. If
driving is going to be more in your plans, don't go too low on the dam-lip or
you'll be spending more time than you thought possible repairing lower edge
damage. A moderate height dam with a stiff rubber or polyethylene lip is a
good compromise, and some can be painted body color with a good flex-agent,
to be less obtrusive. I run a curvy Revson front spoiler (in fiberglas) which
is quite effective at keeping the nose down at high speeds and its lowest
part is only slightly lower than a stock 'chin' valence panel. No clearance
problems even on radically lowered cars.
3)- fiberglas front hoods are cheap these days and alter so easily for the
mostly-cosmetic hood vents, it make economic sense to NOT cut up a $1200
stock steel hood , which is normally worth nothing after it's cut. The car may
lose value too if it becomes time to sell.
4)- I have no opinion on the decorative-only small side scoops. The large
ones are called 'elephant-ears' for a reason; see leading sentence this post.
Cheers- J DeRyke