[DeTomaso] Mayonnaise on the dipstick

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 2 15:08:05 EDT 2010

Dave, if ANY noticable amount of water/antifreeze is in the pan, its a
popped gasket- as you say, probably the head gasket. If your stars are aligned
and are very lucky, Bars Stop-Leak may seal it up temporarily, but if it
does, it'll take a few hours (which you probably don't have to spare) and you'll
be on pins & needles the entire drive anyway.... I'd pull the spark plugs,
look for one thats rusty on the end and if you find one, change that head
gasket. If none are rusty, its probably the timing chain cover gasket.
Note that there are several designs of the steel front plate and one
unaccountably has a right-angle slot milled around one of the water pump ports.
The stock gasket blocks this weird slot off, but I've seen aftermarket gaskets
that don't quite do it. If your front cover has this "feature", plug the
slot solid with Permatex. Usually, it results in an external leak, but....
Good luck- J DeRyke