[DeTomaso] ignition question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 26 20:02:31 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/26/10 14 13 58, Edracers at aol.com writes:

> I want to replace the system. I am thinking about a MSD system.  Or
> rebuying the parts from Hall.
>
> If I buy an MSD system I am concerned about where to place the MSD box
> since it does not like the hot engine compartment.
>
> Any comments, thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

My MSD box is mounted high on the firewall on the passenger side.   It
failed after several years due to the fact that the guy who mounted it chose to
ignore the rubber mounting feet, and just bolted it directly the firewall.

Doom.

The box needs to be rubber-mounted to isolate vibrations as much as
possible--and the rubber mounting feet are included with the box.

What MSD fails to tell you is that although it can be mounted in any
orientation, it SHOULD be mounted face-up.   I learned this from John Christian,
the POCA member who spent 25 years with the Roush organization and later
headed up a division of GM racing.   The circuitry inside has a preference for a
face-up mounting, which is why most race cars you see have them mounted
that way.

I am going to be moving mine shortly; there's a wonderful spot on the top
of the passenger side rocker panel, just begging to have a small shelf
installed and the MSD box placed there.   It's down low, near cool airflow, will
face up, and will be somewhat easy to access from underneath.

As to your specific situation, your best option may well be a Petronix
Ignitor II drop-in module.   This is a drop-in replacement for stock points in a
standard distributor, and it works amazingly well.   I've got one in my
GT350 (the original Ignitor version) and it is wonderful.

http://www.pertronix.com/

You might even be able to find one locally in a speed shop in Oahu.   If
not, the unit is very small and shipping charges from the mainland should be
reasonable.