[DeTomaso] how to install shocks

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 23:19:22 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/11/10 20 13 13, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> Folks,
> Shocks should be coming in a few days.  Any tricks I should know about
> changing fronts out in a 1972?  Jack up car where tire  just about leaves
> ground,  unbolt old shock-remove-install new--lower car.
> Missing anything?

Only that it's a bit harder than you think.   The upper mount is a snap,
but the bottom one is problematic.   The shock mount shares one of the two
bolts that secures the lower balljoint to the A-arm.   The balljoint fits in a
pocket in the A-arm, and the shock fits into a pocket in the balljoint.
These things are normally a press fit, and it will take some judicious prying
and profanity to get everything apart.   Due to a lack of clearance, you
normally have to pull both the balljoint mounting bolts, pull the
balljoint/shock out of the A-arm, then pull the shock out of the balljoint.

And that's much easier than putting it back together!

Depending on your particular car, you may find that the overall length of
the bottom shock mount (shock plus spacers) is slightly greater than the
width of the 'ears' on the balljoint that it must slip into.   Then you're faced
with the prospect of either bending the ears apart (not easy, and perhaps
not a good idea as the balljoint is a casting, which is strong but maybe a
little brittle, and not prone to bending happily), or grinding a bit off the
end of the shock bushings.   The technique that has worked for me is to grind
a bevel in the shock bushing, so that with the balljoint in place, you can
gently tap down on the top of the shock bushings with a hammer and punch,
and drive it into position.   You'll be using pointed punches to center up all
the holes, and then you can re-install the lower bolts.

It should be easy.   Sometimes it is.   Normally it's not. :<(

But when it's done the results are worth it! :>)