[DeTomaso] how to install shocks

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 06:13:43 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/11/10 8:13:10 PM, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> Shocks should be coming in a few days.  Any tricks I should know about
> changing fronts out in a 1972?  Jack up car where tire  just about leaves
> ground,  unbolt old shock-remove-install new--lower car.
> Missing anything?

The wheel & tire should be off before trying this. To pull the upper bolt,
first pull back the carpeting, remove the rubber plug from the toe-panel
(one on each side) and reach in thru the resulting hole with a metric socket on
an extension for your (preferably) 1/2" ratchet. Locking a vise-grip on the
upper nut usually works unless you have willing help with an open-end
wrench. A long drift-punch & hammer might be necessary to tap the upper bolt(s)
out.
Once both bolts are out, expect to use a pry-bar or big screwdriver to
lever the shock bushings out of the upper tabs and the lower ball-joint carrier.
  And each shock/spring assembly weighs 16-1/2 lbs so don't be surprised by
the wt, or let the thing slip and fall or pinch any body-parts (yours!)
More modern spring/shocks will only be about 10 lbs each, so installing will be
easier.... maybe. I vaguely remember the upper and lower bolts being
slightly different lengths so pay attention when you have them out. Putting a
short bolt in a longer space will cut down on the number of threads engaged,
weakening the ass'y. Good luck- J DeRyke