[DeTomaso] sacrificial Panteras - :-(

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri Apr 9 19:05:09 EDT 2010

This kind of thing makes me sick.  I remember several years ago they were filming a movie outside my (then) office in downtown Tacoma.  The scene called for an old beater car to come racing down the street just as a brand-new, bright yellow Camaro Z-28 was backing out of a parking space, so that the beater T-boned the Camaro.  Even though it was just a Camaro, it was pretty gruesome.

What's worse, and I remember watching this on TV at 10 years old as if it were yesterday, a bunch of racing car drivers got together to raise money for charity.  They took brand-new Rolls Royces, Cadillacs and Lincolns, removed all the glass, and then proceeded to engage in a destruction derby, ramming the cars into each other.

Even though I was just a kid, I literally felt sick and had to turn off the TV.

Whenever I see beautiful cars getting smashed on TV or in the movies I get that same feeling.  I think for any kid who always dreamed of having a nice car but didn't have two nickels to rub together, seeing this sort of thing is devastating.  It's like standing in front of a starving man and making him watch as you flush a prime rib steak down the toilet.

I had the same reaction to the cash for clunkers program as well.

Sincerely,

Chris

PNW Pres.