[DeTomaso] Thermostat question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 29 13:16:26 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/29/09 8:04:16 AM, bluebugman2 at sbcglobal.net writes:

> #1-What pressure radiator cap should be used on the Panteras ??
> I here its 13-16#'s  and then Hall Pantera says  22-24# racing cap - so
> which is it ?
>
> #2-The second question is can we use the american verison radiator cap on
> the original pressure side of the tank ?

In the Sept 09   issue of your POCA Newsletter I answered this in a 3-page
article. Stock thermostat used in Euro Panteras is a 0.9 bar (about 13 psi).
I ran a 16 psi Stant for eons in our car. I wouldn't recommend running 20
psi & over caps on a stock copper/brass radiator or you risk rupturing the
core tubes. Caps over about 16 psi are for much stronger aluminum radiators
only. Finally, a U.S-made cap on an unaltered expansion tank neck will
probably leak, and in any case has a longer neck so the cap's pressure rating
decreases variably depending on your tank. FWIW- J Deryke