[DeTomaso] NOISY MUFFLERS / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Sep 27 00:07:48 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/26/09 7:36:05 PM, dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> Stock Mangusta mufflers are for a 289 or 302 Ford and I think with 1
> 7/8th inch header pipe or smaller to get through the rear suspension. ANSA does
> make them but they are too quiet.
> --I now have a 2 1/2 inch header pipe directly to the muffler. I know they
> are GTS mufflers because I put them on myself.

I know what you mean about noise, Dick. I kinda outgrew noisy exhausts back
in high school when I discovered one couldn't hold a conversation with
young ladies, nor hear the radio over engine noise.
The main differences I found with my stock non-GTS Ansa mufflers were-
1)- My stock non-GTS mufflers had two circular filler pieces in the inlet,
to neck down the 2-3/8" inlet to around 1-7/8. The fillers are tack welded
and can be removed for a 2-3/8"OD   in-pipe. GTS mufflers had about a 2-1/2"
inlet with a welded brace across the inlet apparently to prevent cracking
there.
2)- at the inner end of the 4 outlet pipes is a plain steel washer
tack-welded to each perforated outlet. This was apparently the final silencer,
forcing the departing exhaust thru the washer hole and thru the perforations in
the outlet pipes. To open up such mufflers for a little more performance, we
shoved a pipe down the tips and smacked it with a hammer, if the washer
hadn't already broken free by itself. JIngling noises at idle is a clue there
are loose parts inside. Its entirely possible to add washers back onto the
outlets by cutting an access hole in the muffler(s) and tack-welding new ones
to what's left of the perforated outlet pipes.
While a well insulated Mangusta is a little quieter than a stock Pantera,
remember- there are industrial-sized explosions happening only inches from
your ear, and they're being fed to to mufflers the size of a kid's lunchbox.
There WILL be some noise! Good luck- J Deryke