[DeTomaso] GAS TANK VENT / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 22:25:39 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/18/09 4:28:23 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:
snip.....
> but why would gas stream out of the hose?  It starts at the top of the
> tank, goes up, then down all the way to the bottom of the car.  Siphoning
> would only happen if the hose started at the bottom of the tank, wouldn't it?

Agreed. Has this always been a problem for the 55K miles you've put on the
car? I suspect your leak is from the inertia of gas in the almost-full tank
climbing the front wall and being forced out of the not-well-placed
vent-tube. But I don't know what the inside of a Goose fuel tank looks like, so
dunno if the hose connects to an internal standpipe or what. If there is one,
that would be enough to start a siphon. With a Pantera, we can remove the fuel
gauge sender and peer inside with MUCH CARE using a small penlight, but
again, I'm not familiar with the Goose tank.
One thing that comes to mind is fabricating a siphon-breaker similar to
what's on your wife's dishwasher, to go between the tank & vent hose. Another
is to relocate the vent hose to a better place. Good luck- J Deryke