[DeTomaso] Saga of the slave cylinder ( or "free the Slave cylinders!)

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 22:12:26 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/18/09 4:04:39 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I quickly determined that the fitting that goes between the SS braided
> line and the Slave was leaking fluid. Is this an area that should be treated
> with loctite or some other sealant to prevent leaking
> at the fittings?

Which end of the fitting leaks? The end going into the slave cylinder may
be a pipe thread and some teflon pipe-tape is usually used on that. If its
not a pipe thread, we need to know what the fitting looks like-it may be an
inverted-flair fitting. The other end of the fitting should be a MIL-Spec AN
fitting. Braided SS flexible lines are usually built to AN-specs which have
female ends at a 37 degree angle for a cone-seal to a like-angle male
fitting. A commercial braided-stainless line can leak out-of-the-box, but its quite
rare. Such a leak will come from the swedged area, not from the fitting
threads only a few mm away.
Adding Lock-tite to a cone fitting or inverted flair will do nothing except
interfere with future disassembly. And huge torque is not necessary to
produce a seal between the two threaded parts, unless the fittings are somehow
mis-threaded. Are there any knowlegable POCA members anywhere around your
area? Good luck- J Deryke