[DeTomaso] Brake Conversion Options

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:50:08 EDT 2009

Four calipers. the Brembos are 4 piston and the front have larger pistons
then the rear. Four mounting brackets. Ken told me h is not interested in
selling calipers but he does have a machine shop that makes the mounting
brackets and they are also working on a billet rear carrier that include a
conversion to CV joints. Besides the calipers and brackets you need four
rotors ( the size depends on which calipers you get) I got Porsche 996
calipers which are from a 911 Turbo. With them you can go with a 13.1" rotor
(the front and rear rotors are not exactly the same size but if you were
going to do the conversion I can give you all the relevant sizes  of the
ones I went with. Ken has been very helpful  and there is no way I would
even have attempted this without his help.. You also need four  hats and
should also get a new master cylinder. So
4  Brembo calipers
4 sets of brake pads
4 mounting brackets ( Kens source or you can make your own)
4 Coleman rotors
4 Wilkinson Hats
1 master cylinder
1 proportioning valve ( not a necessity but recommended)

You also need to have wheels that are at least 17" diameter.
It is not a cheap undertaking but it is less then going with Wilwood
calipers and I think the Brembos are a better choice for a number of
reasons. Several vendors offer Brembo  "Big Red" brake conversions and
charge up to $8000.00.
Boyd