[DeTomaso] The Beast running Laguna Seca this weekend

Dan Courtney Pacbell dfcex at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 13 02:47:53 EDT 2009

While at the Montery Historics a couple of weeks ago a Trans Am vintage driver I've run with at Willow Springs (actually the fellow who ran over my deck lid when it blew off) invited me to this "Uncorked" event at Laguna this weekend ( http://www.clubautosport.net/uncorked )
The organizers were able to obtain an exemption to the decible limit so it seemed like a great oppurtunity to run The Beast.
I've never run Laguna and was able to get just 1 1/2 laps on a simulator before my run group was called.
It turned out they put me in the Race Prepped group which consists mainly of NASCAR Winston Cup racers, from the past fifteen or so years.
After spending my first session pointing by former Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt, Michael Waltrip, etc cars I got familiar enough with the track, and got The Beast dialed in, to be able to keep up with at least a few of them, pass a couple and have a heck of alot of fun.
They had various run groups all day culminating in a motorcycle race wherein a 15 year old girl phenom blew away the field!
We have three sessions tomorrow, so I'm looking to finally putting The Beast through it's paces in a completly challenging enviornment.
I believe admission is free, so if you are in the area I'd recommend swinging by. The cars and the competition is on a level almost par with the Monterey HIstorics, the pits are full of diverse and historic cars and bikes, and it's a total blast!

Dan Courtney