[DeTomaso] More cruise control issues

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Sep 10 00:09:44 EDT 2009

Right now I think I'm pretty annoyed with the folks at Dakota Digital.  The cruise control I'm trying to install was surging badly so I called them a third time and spoke to yet another tech who said my switch positions were all wrong (despite they were in the position the last guy recommended which was different than what the first guy recommended...)

I made the changes and also tightened up the cruise control cable to the throttle (which he also said I "must do.")

The thing works, but still is completely ridiculous since it drops speed, then gains speed, then drops it again, then gains it again; it's enough to cause whiplash!  Not really, but it is pretty awful.

I'm going to call one more time tomorrow to see if a fourth tech knows what he's doing.  I've checked all the diagnostics, put the pull-up resistor in place on the speed sending unit, tried different vss speed positions (this last tech told me to put it on 16,800 pulses per mile after I told him the sending unit I had put out 12,000 pulses per mile), and tried different locations for the cc unit's tach wire, including running it to ground (one of the tests the instructions mention to see if there is tach interference--there apparently isn't).

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris