[DeTomaso] Distributor gear

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 12:41:36 EDT 2009

> Assuming that you're building a new engine and can easily choose
> your distributor and distributor gear and roller camshaft, then what
> is the most compatible combination of parts with what is available
> on the market now?

Crane's steel gear is currently not available so that leaves Comp's
austempered iron cam cores using an iron gear or, preferably Mallory's
alloy steel gear for austempered cores.

> How much longer on the Great Dyno Project?   I would like to have
> the results as a reference when the serious engine planning begins.

Spent another day on the dyno before leaving for flight test in
the Mojave.  I've not had a chance to write it up but the Stinger
exhaust port inserts work to the tune of 5 HP and 10 Lbs-Ft of
torque with either Pantera headers or Hooker long tubes.  Also,
the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap 2V dual plane works great on the 4V
heads.  Within just a few HP of the Strip Dominator intake with
better torque.  It's a little taller, though.

Still several months of testing ahead with various heads, intakes,
cams, etc.

Dan