[DeTomaso] Pantera A/C compressor bracket

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 28 15:31:39 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/28/09 9:41:12 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> But in seriousness, I think Jack's question is the most relevant.  What
> is rated capacity of a stock mechanical pump being driven by a belt at 6,000
> engine RPM.  If we knew that number, we could do a side by side comparison
> of the electric which we know has an advertised capacity of 55 GPM.  After
> that, empirical testing is required.

And the trouble with the 55 gpm is, pump mfgrs understandably advertize
their wares in the way that makes the product look best. You can test a pump by
motorizing it and running it in and out of a bucket (which I suspect
Stewart does) or you can test it with much more expensive flow-meters installed in
a vehicle with an engine, hoses and a radiator. One will give you the
absolute highest flow possible while the other will give you what will happen in
that car. The old apples and banannas comparison....

And a flowmeter won't tell you whether a pump in a Chev passenger car or
truck in town on a warm day will work as well as a stock iron engine-driven
pump in a Pantera on a long superhighway run ending in   heavy traffic. For
$350-$400 for an electric pump, I'll wait for a while. The single example I
know of that successfully made it to/from 'Vegas from L.A- once- was on a
mildly tuned 351-C, driven legally, and he mentioned that the engine "got a
little warm" at one point..... IMHO, with all the cooling issues in Panteras,
for that price I want absolutely 2X better cooling   performance than stock,
10+ yrs lifespan with zero maintenence and easy installation in a Pantera.
Until then, they are race units- which is much less demanding than the street.
Good luck, all- J Deryke