[DeTomaso] Why do Camshafts Fail ?

STEVEN BLUM steveblum2 at msn.com
Tue Nov 24 15:36:27 EST 2009

I just plled my engine apart and found 2 cam lobs worn out and several lifters worn concave. When discussung the problem with my engin rebuilder he said flat tappet cams  have been going because of the change in motor oil. Several manufactures have found excessive wear to the cam and lifters because of the lack of zinc in the oil. Everyone should be using either the zinc additive or racing oil with the zinc in it.

If anyone is interest in 4V iron  heads from a 74 Cleveland let me know. I just replace mine with aluminum.

Steve