[DeTomaso] Why do Camshafts Fail ?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:36:34 EST 2009

Thanks Don, that answered at least one of my questions - what is the failure
mode of a cam (besides violent failure - ie breaking in half)

Assuming it survives break-in, I wondered if there is a hardened layer like
a human tooth, and that once you wear through this outside layer and reach
the softer inner portion of the lobe, the wear is much faster until you wipe
the entire lobe? From what I see, the entire lobe is hardened so wear should
be even throughout the life of the cam.

So what happens during the 100,000 miles of your cam, if you are lucky? Does
it gradually wear down a little each year so that your lift is reduced? Does
a 50,000 mile cam have a much different profile from a new cam, assuming
somewhat aggressive valve springs? I assume that they eventually just wear
away

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"