[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 64, Issue 17One Mile Shootout

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 18 15:04:37 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/18/09 7:23:38 AM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> If I were going back to a matte finish I'd do it right.  Now there are
> satin finish clear coats that you can wash and wax with none of the old flat
> black hood problems. I'm going to paint mine myself since the body is so
> good.  Probably going back to the semi original red with black Gp4 sections.
> This car was painted twice at the factory, first green the red.

MIchael, our '72 L was also green originally, repaint-red when we bought
it. I chemically stripped then repainted it myself (2 part DuPont Centauri
urethane); if you're seriously into self-abuse, go ahead in your backyard. I
tell everyone that this was a 13-month job which cost me nearly $1500 IN
SUPPLIES in 1991, that I will never repeat for any reason!
FWIW, the reason primer paint jobs don't last is, primer is pigment-rich
and thus porous- after a few months it rusts underneath. If you wax it to keep
rust away, the next paint job requires complete stripping again since wax
soaks into the porous surface just like water does. Good luck with this
truely miserable job- J Deryke