[DeTomaso] zf 5th gear

rtaspl at aol.com rtaspl at aol.com
Sun Nov 15 09:04:21 EST 2009

Welp- I was right. I got the trans out and back apart last night and I had made a rookie mistake, trying to find out why it pops out of 5th gear, I found a thrust washer ground down to half that let the 5th gear float up and down. So I replaced washer and looked at the gear and the sincro Never looked at the collar. And as I thought the teeth are rounded off inside. so for rebuild #2 I am finding the ZF fun to work on.
Good news is it has always shifted like a tractor (clunky) but I also found some sticking detents and shafts, and the nose cone on the pass side was not machined true.  So after rebuild #1 and test drive last friday, it shifted like a new honda (smooth)..