[DeTomaso] zf 5th gear

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Nov 12 12:06:17 EST 2009

When I first got my car, it popped out of second occasionally.  It turned out the metal bracket to which the trunion attaches is spot welded to the frame and the weld on the driver's side had broken loose, allowing the shift rod to band into the side of the ZF when I gave tne engine any gas at all.  I never would have found it until I pulled the engine and tranny and decided while I was at it to replace the trunion.

When I had the frame repairs, the frame guy constructed an entirely new bracket, designed to you could actually fit a wrench on the trunion nut!

A remote possibility, but something else to check.

Sincerely,

Chris