[DeTomaso] Pillar Reinforcement

JJD1010 at aol.com JJD1010 at aol.com
Tue Nov 10 08:59:13 EST 2009

I wouldn't try to overanalyze this. When I did mine, Quella said all  you
are trying to do is spread any stress over a larger area than the original
tack welded seams. First, remove the leading and you will probably see that
the area is already low enough to add the extra layer of metal. Weld the
original seams, even if they are tack welded. Then  a small rectangular strap
can be welded over the weak original  seams. You can size it by seeing where
the area is low. Grind it smooth, treat  with any rust preventive that
suits your fancy, smooth it with bondo and you're  ready to go. High end
restorers like Bob Smith Coachworks use Marine-Tex for  Bondo but any of the new
stuff is pretty good.

Jeff
6559