[DeTomaso] Tool to get air out of cooling system [WAS: need advice before I cry]

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 11:06:42 EST 2009

<<< There must be a way to fill the cooling system effectively.  I can't imagine the factory (or dealers) spent 8 hrs on each car just doing that. >>>

Here's a tool that was discussed on this list a few months ago for getting all the air out of your cooling system:
http://www.tooltopia.com/uview-550500.aspx

(Description from SOBill: http://www.realbig.com/pipermail/detomaso/2009-June/111035.html)
It uses compressed air which flows thru a Venturi in the tool and this creates a  vacuum which
removes the air from the cooling system. Makes no difference if  thermostats or heater
controls are open or closed. When the system shows a  suitable vacuum level, the vacuum
valve on the tool is closed and  the coolant valve is opened. The coolant is forced by
atmospheric pressure  from a container in which the supply hose (with mesh filter) has been
placed to  completely fill the cooling system. The supply container must contain the amount  of
fluid required to fill the system and keep the supply hose to the tool  submerged.

Bill Taylor, Chris Difani, and others have used these types of tools with success to fill Pantera
cooling systems.