[DeTomaso] Some tech analysis of Classic LeMans 08

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 30 13:54:04 EDT 2009

There are already shims inside to control the depth of the pinion gear into
the rack. By varying the shims, you can change this distance. But I've
rebuild a few racks and have never seen a need to mess with the shims, which are
unavailable, as are most of the other parts inside. About all you can buy
are the pinion shaft seal and maybe the upper & lower bearings. While tearing
down & putting it back together correctly isn't rocket science, I suggest
before you get too far into this, you purchase the 121-pg 'Pantera Service
Highlights', published by Ford in early '72. This is the only factory
description of rebuilding a Pantera rack known. Its available from most club stores
quite reasonably.

The Cam Gears rack & pinion has a crummy bushing only on the passenger
side, with the drivers side having a vee-shaped shoe that's spring-loaded
against the rack gear. This arrangement is supposed to take up road shock.
Replacing the steel/rubber/plastic stock bushing with a bronze one (I make up
bushings twice as long as stock) and cleaning out the slop in the box, usually
takes care of any problems. Oh, and adding a pair of new boots and worm-drive
clamps that actually hold lubricant.

After that, if there's still slop in the steering, its a worn tie-rod end,
missing/worn plastic shims in the sliding coupling under the dash, or
deterioration of the rag-joint in the steering shaft. These cause far more slop
than wrong pinion depth IMHO. Good luck- J Deryke