[DeTomaso] first post, pretty good question. Alumium Flywheel for the street?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 28 17:11:57 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/28/09 14 02 11, james at ground-control.com writes:

> I am concerned because I have had a car (Mazda) where the flywheel was
> too
> light, and I have some cars now with standard flywheels that seem pretty
> sprightly.

I was driving Geoff Peters' Lamborghini Gallardo the other day, and it was
just miserable to drive because the flywheel was much, much too light.   You
had to slip the clutch excessively to avoid stalling it, which leads to
premature clutch failure, and at 6000 UK pounds to change it, that's not a
trivial matter.

However, American V8 aluminum flywheels are more than heavy enough to do
their job for a nominally lightweight street car like ours.   A steel flywheel
is better for trucks and 4x4s, but every Ford-powered sports car I've
driven equipped with a steel flywheel was just fine, and the engine does rev more
freely. :>)

Yours is the black Mangusta, right?   And you work for the Ground Control
suspension company?   Welcome to the fold!