[DeTomaso] Memorial Day Re: Thanks

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon May 25 18:03:03 EDT 2009

Thursday of last week, my employer rededicated a flag I sent home from
the U.A.E. while I was deployed there.  The flag had flown on the Global
Hawk UAV and the U2 while I was there.  In 2006, my employer moved from
one building to a much larger facility.  The flag did not get put back
up until last week.

During the re-dedication, our community liaison related some stories
from other employees who currently have sons and daughters involved in
Iraq and Afghanistan.  They were not pretty stories.  They originally
came -from- the sons and daughters, who are still alive and still
fighting to this day.  But each of them related how one minute they were
joking with a friend about who would win the PAC 10 conference, and a
few minutes later, their friends HUMVEE exploded in front of them from
an IED.  Another story related how another IED or rocket propelled
grenade hit the passenger side of their HUMVEE and blew shrapnel all
over this poor kid.  They worked on him for minutes trying to stop the
bleeding, but by the time the medic got there, he was gone.

I'm really only paraphrasing here, the details from the stories related
that afternoon in our atrium.  They were enough to bring a tear to my
eye, because I still care.

Instead of hanging the flag as it was in the old building, they folded
it properly and had it placed in the traditional triangular box.  A new
plaque was made and affixed to box, dedicating it in memoriam of all our
veterans.  On either side are the certificates of the flights it had
flown on.  I had originally thought they were going to hang it as they
had previously, but found this display to be much more sobering and much
more appropriate.

It's good to thank those who are still around; let's just make sure we
never forget those who never made it home.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA