[DeTomaso] Quick Survey

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 24 14:48:48 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/24/09 9:28:20 AM, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I thought a stud girdle was used on the bottom of the engine for the
> crank. Are they used on heads as well?

Thats a main girdle, used to brace up weak main caps- which is not normally
a 351-C problem. A stud girdle is a set of bars that ties all the rocker
studs together at their tops. With stiff valvesprings and high rpms, the studs
do move a little, and the adjusting nuts also tend to loosen. A stud girdle
prevents both from happening. Some aftermarket 351-C studs do tend to break
at high rpms; one member broke one coming into 'Vegas and spent most of the
weekend in the parking lot trying to fix the car, finally having it
flat-bedded clear to the CA coast. This thoroughly wrecked his 'Fun' rally. Call
them 'insurance' because with a girdle, the stud likely wouldn't have broken,
but if it still did, a   girdled engine would have been driveable for a
careful trip back home. FWIW- J Deryke