[DeTomaso] Light stock flywheels

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 23 02:53:28 EDT 2009

Chuckie, none of your questions are dumb. Shops can easily surface-grind a
stock flywheel for a 5-8 pounds. This is not a lathe job, though- the good
shops will use a huge Blanchard grinder to evenly grind both soft and hard
metal from a heat-checked flywheel, while keeping the surface parallel to the
crankshaft flange. Any other method will give a wavy surface that will be no
fun at all to drive. Some of the Pantera vendors sell reconditioned stock
flywheels at 22 lbs, which is why I used that number. The thinner the wheel,
the less thermal mass it has and the more likely it is to overheat and warp
or crack (just like brake rotors but far more destructive). Apparently, 22
lbs is a safe level but I wouldn't go further with stock cast iron. I don't
know what thickness that equates to. Steel flywheels lighter than 22 lbs are
available and are much, much stronger, as are aluminum flywheels.
I frankly wouldn't spend a lot of money reconditioning a stock flywheel
unless it was to be a stop-gap while my nice strong steel or aluminum unit was
being paid for, or the owner wanted bragging-rights about how stock his
machine had been kept. I don't race anymore, but everyone (even Garlits) misses
a shift now 'n then and a 6500+ buzz might be all a 38-yr-old stocker could
stand... Tell the wife its just insurance. FWIW- J Deryke