[DeTomaso] Fw:  72 Seat belts

Art Stephens artstephens at verizon.net
Sat May 16 02:17:19 EDT 2009

Mike,
     I'll see if I can get into the passenger seat of my smashed up car tomorrow and confirm my suspicions about the belts. IIRC,  The way the system is designed,  if you lean forward with your belt on,  let's say to get into your glove box,  you are pulling more belt out of the inertia wheel.  The problem is that when you go back to your normal driving position,  the spring in the wheel is not strong enough to take up the new slack that you just created by leaning forward.  I'm thinking the reason is that the spring is trying to pull the strap thru the adjusting portion of the system,  the piece that the belt passes thru at the male half of the buckle.  There is a lot of friction between the belt and that part.  If the inertia wheel is attached to the shoulder strap end of the system,  you don't have the problem.  With the suspect system,  the inertia wheel easily allows the seat belt to extend which is of virtually of no use that I know of?  Where you need the freedom of movement is at your shoulder strap.  The problem then becomes that you have to unbuckle the system and readjust it if you want to remove the slack from your shoulder strap,  a pain in the ass.  I also found this happening all the time as I would frequently adjust the temp of my AC that I could not reach without leaning forward.  If you never lean forward,  you would probably have no problem?  But if you lean forward at all,  you now have slack in the system.  (By the way,  I switched the location of my dimmer switch and the AC temp control switch and solved that problem).
     I just went out and checked the system in my Honda,  the inertia wheel is at the shoulder strap end,  the belt is fixed at the seat belt end.
    You make a good point about the way I mounted the belt to the firewall,  I will check it out and if I didn't go thru something substantial,  I will rectify that.
    The reason you can't easily lean forward is that you have to pull the slack thru that high friction buckle,  instead of making a more direct pull thru the inertia wheel.
     I think you are probably correct when you say that they work very similar to the original system. But IIRC the old system sucked!  So yes,  I think you are right when you say it is no worse than the old system,  but it is certainly not as good as a more modern system.  All they have to do is put the retractor at the shoulder strap end instead of the seatbelt end and they would have a more safe system provided the inertia wheel is securely mounted.
     Mike,  you made some good points that I do appreciate.  I just think this system needs to be redesigned and rather than wait for the vendors to get it right,  why not go out and buy a better system for half the price?

Art