[DeTomaso] Help needed with clutch slave

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri May 8 02:37:07 EDT 2009

Dear Thomas,

> Is it the pedal or the slave cylinder that has 1/2" of travel? According
> to the owners manual the pedal free-travel should be 1/4" - 7/16" (6 -
> 11mm) and .102 - .106 (2.5 - 3mm) at the lever.

I think it's the pedal.  It feels like nothing is engaging until the pedal has been pushed about an inch down, then it seems as if all the action happens after that.

> > I have a screw stop which I just left adjusted to stop when the piston is all the way in (pedal is released).  I'm not sure of the correct setting for that; currently it's not really doing anything since it just touches the stop plate as the piston reaches its maximum retracted position.
>
> This is where you should have the .102" - .106" play when you push the
> pedal to take out the free-travel.

I'm afraid I don't understand.  If I turn the screw to begin pulling out the piston, that would be like pushing the pedal part way down, and isn't that partially engaging the clutch?  I've heard that's a bad thing to do.

Chris