[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 5 20:14:52 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/5/09 3:40:36 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Isn't there such a thing as oil pressure being too high?

Definitely. Too-high pressures can erode bearings and overwhelm hydraulic
lifters. One Nor-Cal member was running nearly 100 psi oil pressure and his
engine wouldn't rev past 4500 rpms. We all had suggestions but nothing worked
until his mechanic pulled that pump and replaced it with a stocker. With no
other changes, it revved to nearly 7000.... On a second Pantera with a
100-psi pump and 40-wt oil, I blew the oil filter can clear off the block @ 6500
rpms during one autocross. Adding a high volume pump with no extra loads on
the oiling system or opening up of oil passages in the block will probably
increase pressures as much as a "high-pressure" pump. This is why I
specified the big pump ONLY for those with external oil lines and stuff like that-
and in my own case it wasn't necessary and may not ever be necessary. On
mildly modified street engines, my experience has not been positive with these
pumps. FWIW- J Deryke