[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 6 07:19:51 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/5/09 15 40 53, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Isn't there such a thing as oil pressure being too high?
>
>>>Yup!

> With out really
> knowing anything about the science behind the flow dynamics I would think
> that higher pressure would put more stress on connections and gaskets and
> increase the possibility of "blow by" and leaks.
>
>>>I can't speak to that specifically, but it certainly puts a much higher
load on the distributor/oil pump drive mechanism, potentially causing
premature cam gear/distributor gear wear, shear pin failure etc.   Hydraulic
lifters can also suffer from too much pressure.

> I would think that a higher
> volume of oil flow would be preferential. My logic may be flawed but the
> more oil volume flowing through the system the less time it has to get
> over
> heated and the greater volume being pushed through the filtration system
> the
> more often the total volume is going to be cycled through the entire
> system
> and completely filtered.
>
>>>More is better to a point--but then it becomes too much.   The problem
with high-volume oil pumps is that they draw oil out of the oil pan faster
than gravity lets it drain back down into the pan.   The drain holes in the
heads/block provide a finite drain-back capacity, which can easily be exceeded
by a high-volume oil pump.   Extended high-rpm running can literally pump
all the oil to the top of the engine, flooding the valve covers, and then
starving the pickup in the pan, so that the pressure then drops towards zero.

> >If the High pressure pump derives it's higher
> pressure through the use of a high pressure relief spring,  the oil is
> going
> to remain in the block longer and only move when the pressure builds to
> the
> point that the relief springs limit is reached. I am pretty confident that
> higher pressure would also result in higher temperature which is
> an undesirable effect.
>
>>>Perhaps true too!

> Also the higher pressure will undoubtedly put all the
> seals, gaskets , and other connections at a higher stress level and
> increase's the chance of a failure.  It is my understanding that you can't
> compress a liquid. When there is a fire the objective is to pump more
> water
> on the fire not water at higher pressure. The advantage of a
> greater volume of oil circulating through the system  seems to have
> obvious
> advantages. If you had a pump that pushed at greater volume at a higher
> pressure that might offer advantages over  a pump that creates high
> pressure
> by using a restrictive spring valve. That concept reminds me of holding
> your
> finger over the end of a garden hose. You get higher pressure but at a
> much
> lower volumeBoyd.

provides the optimum condition for at least 90% of the situations out
there, including virtually all road-driven cars.   There may be specific
instances where higher volume and/or higher pressure are warranted, but I can't
think of any offhand, other than a very worn engine with loose tolorences that
don't allow a standard-pressure oil pump to achieve the desired oil pressure?