[DeTomaso] How did they do that, GT-40 Proto-type sold for two million and change, ok no Pantera content

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 16:40:38 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/16/09 1:19:13 PM, rimov at charter.net writes:

> The carbs were mounted were the exhaust normally are and the exhaust pipes
> were mounted where the intake usually resides. How did they do that ?

Besides DOHC indy Fords with intake & exhaust valves and their cams swapped,
I have a photo of a flathead Ford running at Bonneville in the early '50s,
rigged this way to eliminate the enormous amount of heat in a flathead engine
from normal exhaust ports running thru the block. The thing had multiple
Stromberg 97s on each exhaust manifold and 8 exhaust stacks sticking thru the hood!
Ran well, too- the car lost top gear, so the frustrated driver turned 8200 rpms
thru the timing lights in 2nd....   The amazing question here is, how did he
keep the rods inside? Ever see a flathead rod- they look like willow sticks!
FWIW- J Deryke