[DeTomaso] Waterpump

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Mar 10 16:19:55 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/10/09 7:47:47 AM, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> I am think that further pump improvement can be had be rebuilding a pump
> with the curved vane impeller and using much closer than EOM tolerances for the
> pump vanes to the pump housing. I just had a pump rebuilt in this fashion
> and the difference in tolerances is significant. I cannot document any
> improvement in coolant temps at this point with the new engine. In my opinion, a
> custom rebuilt water pump over normal aftermarket pumps has similar advantages to
> a custom rebuilt carb over an off the shelf Holley. Off the shelf is purdy
> good, but custom rebuilt is better.
>
> The Edelbrock pump has a cast curved vane impeller, with cast backing plate.
> I'm really satisfied with my pump.

Agreed, but 'better' is relative; I use a fully warmed up engine at 2500-3000
rpms on the road as my critarium for lowering water temps. Over the years,
I've changed absolutely everything in our 351-C's cooling system, and NOTHING I
did had ANY effect at all on the running water temp, except adding a bigger
aluminum Fluidyne radiator. Thats why I say the benefits of different, more
efficient pumps, water tubes, thermostats, fans etc, etc are mostly theoretical-
and maybe psychological- to us owners.
One other thing- completely removing the thermostat and experimenting with
restrictor washers of various size holes- will likely also lower stabilized
water temps. Guys who remove the thermostat and run nothing in its place complain
about only getting 120 F running water temps at 80 mph.... so this tells me
the 351-C thermostat is a designed flow restriction that might benefit from
larger drilled bypass holes in it. Something I'm going to look into later. Cheers-
J Deryke