[DeTomaso] Removing Front Crank Seal

jefude at bellsouth.net jefude at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 28 17:19:57 EDT 2009

"Keep trying harder- even if you resort to a hammer and prybar to fold the
seal into the center and crack it loose. There's nothing inside to hold it
except the factory green-permatex-type sealant and perhaps whetever goo some
misguided 'mechanic' added. I've found JB-Weld (epoxy-aluminum) on the
backside of such seals- totally unnecessary and only causes trouble (such as this)
downstream. Good luck- J Deryke:

Thanks Jack,

I finally preyed it out using vise grips as a lever.  Do I need to use any type of sealant/lubricant on the seal before installing the balancer ?

Jeff