[DeTomaso]   Removing Front Crank Seal

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 28 23:41:40 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/28/09 2:20:28 PM, jefude at bellsouth.net writes:

> I finally preyed it out using vise grips as a lever.  Do I need to use
> any type of sealant/lubricant on the seal before installing the balancer ?

No sealer needed- your new one is already coated with sealer and there's
practically no crankcase pressure anyway. Wipe some chassis grease inside the
seal before putting the balancer back through it. But before putting it
back, take a close look at your balancer snout: a seal actually wears away some
of the cast iron over time, making a new seal less effective since it will
rub the same area. But they sell a 'seal repair sleeve'- a very thin hard
steel sleeve that slips over the worn area of a balancer snout with some epoxy,
that restores the seal area. Quite cheap, too. Good luck- J Deryke