[DeTomaso] Difference between an aluminum radiator and one that is black

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Wed Jun 24 02:15:39 EDT 2009

mark skwarek skrev:
> Has anyone studied whether there is a difference between an aluminum radiator and one that has been blackened. I would think the black one would reject more heat.

I believe the difference in energy radiation is insignificant between a
black and a shiny radiator.

Energy absorption is very different though as much of the energy is
reflected off of a shiny surface while a dull black surface absorbs lots
of energy.

I think the confusion lies in the term "Black Body Radiation",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body. The only significant factor is
the temperature of the radiating body.

> Mark

Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21