[DeTomaso] Rear Wheel house rust repair advice needed ..

Bohdan Goyaniuk andriykoisg at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 21 17:33:21 EDT 2009

Well...

After being proud of having a car that I thought was relatively rust clean ....

I found some.

I have been going over my car (every square inch). While inside the right rear wheel well, I noticed a small pinhole in the rear U-channel (the curvey one)of the wheel house suspension support. Right where it changes to a down angle. I jammed my srewdriver into the pinhole and it went through !! The metal was quite thin. I then tap tested the rest of the U channels. Banged them with a screw driver and composite hammer. Everywhere else seemed pretty solid.

So, I shooved a foot long wire and then a screwdriver into the previously drilled drain holes to dislodge any rust. WOW I got quite a pile of exfoliated rust powder and flakes. I was shocked.

I then checked the drivers side (left side rear wheel house). Solid everywhere from the testing and very little rust could be dislodged from up inside the drain holes.

Anyway, I feel disheartened . I had to stop work on the car and take a break. Turning to the forum for help.

What to you guys recommend for a repair? How much of the inner wheel house should I remove?

And most importantly ... Who makes the best original looking patch repair panel?

Thanks